Mango Pachadi (Maanga Pachadi)
Posted By : Sharmilee
Mango pachadi is my favorite, especially with curd rice….the combination is so so tasty. The tanginess in the mangoes, sweetness from the jaggery, the spiceness from the chillies… all blended together…yummmm!!
Raw mango- 1 medium sized
Jaggery- 1/2 cup
Salt- as required
Rice flour- 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Urad dal- 1 tsp
Green chilliies- 2 slitted into half
Curry leaves- few
Hing (Perungayam)- a pinch
Oil- 2 tsp
- Wash the mangoes and chop them into small cubes roughly, keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker add the mangoes and water till mangoes immersing level and pressure cook mango with salt and turmeric powder until soft.
- By now the mango must have turned mushy, add powdered jaggery mix well in low flame. Then add 1/4 cup water and allow it to boil till it becomes jam consistency.Add required salt and 1 tbsp of rice flour to make it thick.
- Meanwhile in a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal allow it to splutter. Add greenchillies and curry leaves, saute for a minute. Add hing, give a quick stir.
- Then add the tempered items to the mango mixture. Give a quick stir and switch off.
- Adding rice flour will thicken the mixture. So adjust the quantity of rice flour accordingly.
- We add the mango pieces as such in the pachadi. You can peel the skin and slice the pieces too and make it totally like a jam
- This will surely keep well for 2 days when refrigerated.
- Do not add more rice flour , it will change the taste of the pachadi.
- This is more like jam so luv it with bread and chapathis too. But the ultimate combination is with curd rice, try once and see and am sure you will thank me for it :)
- You can skip rice flour if your pachadi is thick enough. I have seen few adding coconut paste too, it will sure give a rich taste but the shell life is less.