Uzhunnu Vada (Ulunthu Vadai)
Posted By : Sharmilee
Urad dal / Ulutham paruppu / Uzhunnu (without skin variety)- 1 cup
Green chillies- 1 finely chopped
Coriander leaves- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped
Curry leaves- 1 tbsp finely chopped
Small onion- 10 finely chopped
Jeera- 1.5 tsp crushed
Salt- to taste
Water- as required
- Soak urad dal for 1 hour at least. Drain water and keep aside (I usually drain the water completely and then sprinkle little by little while grinding , doing so you can be sure of the quantity of water).
- Now grind it to a fluffy texture sprinkling water now and then. Dont add much water as the batter will become runny.
- Once the batter is ready, add chopped onions, jeera, coriander, curry leaves, chillies to the batter, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Wet your hands now (avoid stickiness), then make a small ball out of the batter. Now make a hole in the middle and carefully transfer it to the kadai.
- Fry the vada in medium flame, turn over to other side once it becomes firm. Take out and drain it in a tissue once it becomes golden brown on both sides.
- You can have it as such or with coconut chutney. My option is to dunk it in sambar and then have it....Yummy combination!!
- We always make this vada when there is any padayal at home. Other than that, a perfect guest traditional meal is incomplete without this vadai. It is very crispy on the outside and soft inside.
- The only problem I faced was the perfect round shaped vadas...