Curried Lamb with coconut
Coconut- 1 fresh
Poppy seeds- 1 tablespoon
Cummin seeds- 1 tablespoon
Black peppercorns- 1 tablespoon
Stick cinamon- 5 cm
whole cloves- 4
Red chillies- 2
Oil- 6 tablespoon
Onions(Medium Size chopped)- 2
Garlic cloves(chopped)- 3
Ginger pieces(chopped)- 1 cm
Lamb fillet,trimmed of excess fat and cut into cubes- 900 gm
Turmeric- 1 teaspoon
Salt- 1 teaspoon
Grated nutmeg- 1/4 teaspoon
- Drain off the coconut milk,hit the coconut sharply with a hammer.then tap all the way round until the shell falls apart in several pieces.
- With a sharp,pointed knife,dig out the coconut flesh from the shell.
- Grate it by hand on a conical.
- Put two-thirds of the grated coconut in a bowl,pour in 600 ml boilig water and stir well.
- Cover and leave to stand while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Put the poppy and cummin seeds in a heavy-based frying pan with the peppercorns,cinnamon,cloves and chillies.
- Dry fry for a few minutes,stirring all the time,then turn into a small electric mill.
- Grind the spices,then transfer them to a bowl.
- Add the remaining grated coconut to the pan and dry fry until lightly browned,tossing and stirring constantlly.
- Add to the spices in the bowl and stir well to mix.
- Heat 4 tablespoon of ghee in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Add the onions,garlic and ginger and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft and lightly colored.
- Add the meat in batches and fry over moderate heat until well browned on all sides,then add two-thirds of the coconut and spice mixture,the turmeric,salt and nutmeg.
- Fry for a few minutes more,tossing and stirring the contents of the pan so that the ingredients combine evenly.
- Strain in the coconut milk and bring to the boil.stirring.
- Lower the heat,cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir frequently during this time,to prevent sticking,
- Before serving,heat the remaining ghee in a frying pan until smoking hot.
- Add the remaining coconut and spices mixture and toss over high heat until golden brown.
- Turn the curry into warmed serving dish and scatter the coconut mixture over the top.
- Serve hot.