Beef Currry with Yogurt
Ghee- 50 ml
Chuck steak,trimmed of excess fat ad cut in to cubes- 900 g
Green chilles- 2
Onions(Medium Size chopped)- 2
Tomatoes- 225 g
Garam masala- 2 teaspoon
Ground ginger- 1 teaspoon
Cayenne pepper- 1/2 teaspoon
Salt- To taste
Ground pepper- To taste
Natural yogurt- 300 ml
- Heat the ghee in a heavy flame-proof casserole.
- Add the beef in batches and fry over high heat until well browned on all sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile,discard the ends of chillies and slice them in half lengthways.
- Scoop out the seeds.
- Chop the flesh finely,adding as many seeds as you like-the more you add,the hotter the curry.
- Add onions and chillies to the residual ghee,lower the heat and fry gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes,increase the heat and fry,stirring,for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices,with salt and pepper to taste,and fry for1-2 minutes,stirring.
- Return the beef to the casserole and mix well.
- Reserve about 60 ml of the yogurt.
- Add the remaining to the beef,15 ml at a time.
- Cook each addition over high heat,stirring constantly,until the yogurt is absorbed.
- When all the yogurt has been added,put a double thickness of foil over the top of the casserole,then seal tightly with the lid.
- Bake in the oven at 170 c mark 3 for 1 1/2 hours,without lifting the lid.
- Serve hot in a warmed serving dish.