Posted By : Sharmilee
Kara Seva sounded to be simple and I followed the ICC recipe. This version is crispy and flavourful and it got over the same day I made, the garlicand the pepper flavour was the best part of it.
Besan Flour (Kadalamaavu)- 2 and 1/2 cups
Rice Flour- 1 cup
Black Pepper- 1 tsp
Ghee- 2 and 1/2 tsp
Crushed Garlic (optional)- 2 pearls finely chopped or made into a paste
Oil- to deep fry
Salt- to taste
- First powder pepper coarsely, set aside. In a mixing bowl add besan flour, rice flour, ghee, chilli powder, powdered pepper, garlic finely chopped and salt. Mix well first then add water little by little to form a dough - it will be sticky. - Dont make it a stiff dough then pressing will be very difficult.
- Fill the murukku press with the dough and press it in hot oil. Do not make it crowded, just press circles around with large gaps. Do not make layers like we make for murukku.
- Fry in medium flame till golden brown , turn over to cook on both sides evenly. Drain in tissue paper, break it roughly into pieces. Cool down completely and then store in airtight container.
- You can do it the actual way of rubbing the dough through a big laddle which has tiny holes as in the orginal recipe. But I prefered this way as its easy and also I dont have that kind of laddle.
- When filling the dough in portions, keep the dough covered with a wet cloth so that it doesnt get dry. Incase if it gets dry for the last few batches, just sprinkle only little water, mix once to make it moist.
- Also chop the garlic very finely or make it a paste, else it will get stuck while pressing. But the garlic flavour was great so dont skip.